Verify My Insurance 1-800-737-0933
12.27.2016

Drug Combinations can Trigger Accidental Overdose

We have seen it before in other celebrities, and now the recent autopsy report confirms that former WWE and reality TV star Chyna died from an accidental overdose involving several medications and alcohol.

The results of an autopsy have revealed that Chyna died from a combination of alcohol, pain medication and muscle relaxers. The toxicology report shows that Chyna, whose real name was Joan Marie Laurer, had taken diazepam, which is commonly called Valium and norazepam, a muscle relaxant.

The toxicological tests performed on Laurer also revealed that she had taken oxycodone, an opioid pain medication. The report also revealed the presence of oxymorphone, a synthetic opioid painkiller, in Laurer’s system. The 46-year-old had a history of drug abuse, and her mother told investigators that she was an alcoholic.

Her system also contained temazepam, a drug used to treat insomnia. It is given to patients who either have difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep. This medication is meant to be used only for a short time and only as directed by a doctor, since it has a high probability for abuse. It also comes with a warning that it is never to be taken with alcohol, since an overdose could be fatal in those circumstances.

Laurer was found by her manager on April 20, 2016, in her Redondo Beach home. The manager, Anthony Anzaldo, hadn’t heard from her since she sent out a tweet three days before. He went to Laurer’s home to check on her and discovered her body. The autopsy report noted that Laurer was discovered in bed next to a number of items, including her cellphone, iPad, pillows and clothing.

Investigators found several bottles of prescription medicines at Laurer’s home. They also found a green plastic grinder, a small wood box, a metal pipe similar to a cigarette and a blue glass pipe on a nightstand. In the bottom drawer of the nightstand, the investigators found an envelope containing blister pack of pills. An empty pack of pills was discovered on the nightstand. Some loose pills were found on the bedroom floor and on a table in the dining room.

People who use or abuse multiple prescription drugs and drink alcohol are particularly at risk of an overdose. Many of these medications slow down breathing and other organ functions and can cause respiratory failure. This is one of the many reasons why you should never wait to get help for a loved one who is struggling with an alcohol or drug problem. Contact Genesis House today for more information and assistance.

Listen to Podcasts
Season 3, Episode 31: 29 Years of Recovery w/ Andy V.